Hi all!!! Today is day one of Insanity. I took the fit test and there really is only one way to go and that is UP!!! My numbers are terrible!!! But you got to start some where! How are you all doing?
I know that I have been MIA for a while — sorry about that. Life moves forward no matter what we have planned and there has been a lot going on. I am back and plan to be here for good!
In my absence I have been pondering something. As I read so many Facebook pages and blogs there seems to be a lot of “all or nothing” mentalities out there. And if we aren’t careful we can exchange one obsession for another! I have a very full, busy, blessed life that requires effort to fit in exercise and eating healthy. I have a full time job: 7 AM to 6 PM, Monday through Thursday and Friday 7 AM to noon. I have a boyfriend that I spend the majority of my off-time with; doing everything from cooking to working on his business. He makes movies, music videos, commercials, et cetra and the majority of his jobs happen evenings and weekends. My children are grown: 23 and 18 years old and we enjoy spending time together. (I highly recommend raising your children correctly so when they’re adults you actually like each other as people!)
While I am determined to get back to a lean, healthy lifestyle, I refuse to get there by giving up the precious time I have with the people I love. I don’t know about you, but I want to live healthier with the journey in mind, not just the goal! I don’t want to be so obsessed with getting there that I can’t enjoy the ride or the people I’m with. My goal is to be an example of how a very busy person can work exercise and healthy eating into their life, instead of trading their current life for something completely different. I know some things will have to be modified and I am okay with that. I truly believe that “this is not a diet, it is my life.”
So, that being said…here we go!
I have really enjoyed reading everyone’s posts and I have tried to subscribe to quite a few. I apologize for not having the time to play all the games with you, though. Including my very busy job, taking care of my mom, spending time with my kids, developing a loving relationship with the man I love and trying to exercise and keep a blog, I just don’t have a lot of time…except for when I’m sleeping, but I already cut that short to exercise! I love the accountability and hearing your progress through your posts and I hope the couple of times a week that I can check in will be enough.
I look forward to sharing my progress with you and hearing about yours.
- I love to sing LOUD in the car
- I have two wonderful grown children
- The man I am dating is ten years younger than me
- I have brown eyes
- I hate raisins, prunes and dates
- I love to cook
- My favorite color is turquoise
- I hate to clean. If I could have a maid forever I would be in heaven
- I run a department for a large outpatient rehab
- If someone were to play me in a movie it would be Meg Ryan or Sandra Bullock. They both have that Lucille Ball quality with a modern twist that I would use to describe myself
- I get to help make music videos and movies. Big fun!
Questions to Me
- A saying that I have come to embrace is that “it is what it is” meaning that I can’t move forward until I accept where I am first
- I know my blood type: A+
- I had a fist fight in the third grade when I had to stand up to a bully
- I would love to meet Billy Graham or his daughter Anne Graham Lotz; they are very inspirational
- If I had $500 and I had to spend it on myself, I would probably start with bras and underwear and then move on to purses and shoes
- Worst gift was from someone at work: a necklace that looked like it should have been in a bad horror movie…with matching ear rings
- My best feature is my eyes
- I cried about two weeks ago. I’m a big baby
- I can’t remember making some one cry
- A tropical island or a cruise for vacation
- I have beat up two sheriff officers and my son put the video on YouTube. It was a self defense class and the graduation was a fight and you had to get away. It was pretty scary but very empowering!
Have a great night,
This is one of my go-to dinners and always a crowd-pleaser! I will also make a double or triple recipe and freeze in lunch and dinner size portions for one. This makes easy take to work lunches or quick dinners.
We really loved this soup recipe from Janet and Greta Podleski’s Eat, Shrink and Be Merry. I would opt for using a food processor instead of a blender unless you have an immersion hand blender; I just found that it gets the job done more easily. Also, I will double the shrimp next time, or even mix it up a little and add some cooked tilapia or scallops for texture and variety! Remember: it’s okay to modify a recipe to fit your family and personal taste. I give you permission to play with your food! LOL
I found this recipe for vegetarian chili by Emeril Lagasse on cooks.com; a great resource! It was a winner both at home and work, but it takes a huge pot to make. One of my goals is to find recipes that I can freeze ahead for some quick lunches and dinners and this recipe is perfect for that! I even froze some portions in ice cube trays, then emptied into a freezer zip lock bag. When I’m ready, I thaw a couple of cubes and add to my egg whites on some mornings for a little variety. Delish! Gotta love Emeril. BAM!
I found this basic recipe, but there were no directions on how to prepare it! On the first try, I blended everything together at once and got mixed reviews from the family. So I played with the ingredients, added a couple and varied the way of blending it. By try #5 everyone was happy with them! So, here’s my recipe for great protein pancakes.
I know I have been kinda silent the last couple of days; I have been working like a mad woman! I joined a challenge: Real Chicks Getting Fit’s Spring “Chicks” Challenge 2012. My challenge goals are listed below. Keep checking back to see how I’m doing!
- Non Scale Victory
- Be in a size 8 jean (maybe a dream but, “go big or go home”)
- Like how I look in the mirror
- Enjoy living healthy for me
- Nutrition Parameters
- Eat 5 to 6 small meals a day
- Consistent with taking my vitamins
- Try to drink at least 96 oz of water a day
- Exercise Parameters
- Be consistent with my P90X program
- Running at least twice a week for 3 to 4 miles
- I will blog at least twice a week about how I am doing
- I will also encourage others who are on this journey
Well, that’s all for today. I will be announcing more exciting things later this week!
Hi! Welcome to my website!
I am a former reality show winner. I won a healthy make over and lost a total of 101lbs over the course of about 11 months. I consider 65lbs to have been lost in a very healthy way. The rest was lost with a mixture of exercise which I loved and a bar and shake only meal plan which I hated!!! I was a good trooper, because after all I WON it. At my lowest weight at the finale I weighted 143lbs and was wearing a size 4/6.
About 4 months after the finale I went in for my routine annual exams. There were some issues found, an enlarged ovary and masses in one of my breasts. After a huge scare I found out that the cysts were benign and everything would be handled with some hormone therapy. I had never taken any type of hormones not even birth control, and my doctor informed me that they would cause me to gain weight. I was very depressed, I had gained a total of about 10lbs just trying to maintain after the show and the idea of gaining more was a devastating!
Well, I gained about 30 more pounds due to the meds and another 5lbs or so due to the depressing fact that after all my hard work I was once again FAT and feeling like I had let down so many people who believed in me. (Did I mention that this contest was televised regionally on NBC and published in a local magazine?) Ugh…
However, the real truth is that I gained back what I had lost doing the bar and shake plan. It was a total of 800 calories a day and I was working out like crazy 6 days a wk with two trainers. After the final weigh in the bar and shake Dr’s said that I would need to eat a DIET of no more than 1200 calories a day to maintain. My trainers were horrified, I am certainly not a nutritionist but even I know that is too few calories especially if you are working out like I was.
So, this is where I find myself. Determined not to gain any more weight and sure that I will be the size that I want doing it the right way! So I invite you to join me on my journey to be:
- Happy – well, I just want to stay happy cuz a really great thing about the show (and there were a few, even if the diet sucked) was that I met my boyfriendJ. And I have a really supportive family who are with me all the way!
- Fit — I want to be toned and like how I look. I will be super honest about the exercise: like, do the really fit people realize that, when you have a belly, some of those yoga positions are just not gonna happen the way they are demonstrating? Please, for the love of God, could you please show us how to modify that?! LOL
- A Role Model — I want to show other people who are in their Forties that we can do this thing! In a healthy realistic way and maintain once we get there.
- To be daring and try new things on a continual basis to show people that we don’t have to quit living!
I promise to share all that I am going through and be encouraging. Of coarse, I will be talking as much to myself as to anyone who cares to listen.